Monday, May 24, 2010

Blogging drought

I have no excuse other than I have too much to write, which overwhelms me so I don't write anything. It seemed logical at the time....

At Thurston's one year appointment, he weighed in at 21 lbs, 13 oz (35%). He's turning into a tank. Seriously! This guy's got some girth on him. It might have to do with the fact that he loves stuffing his face. The other day we were at a coffee shop and he managed to put a hunk of kiwi in his mouth. He looked up to me with his face all puffed out, full to the brim of kiwi and a bit of green sticking out between his lips. He grabs for another piece of kiwi and tries to stick it in his mouth as well. Obviously, this causes him some trouble and he ends up jamming it against his nose, kiwi juice running down his face. A girl standing next to me joins me in laughing hysterically and tells me we made her morning. This kid is a serious walking riot.

Today was our first day of daycare. As Dave and I have opposing schedules, we'll only need part time care (Monday, Thursday & Friday). Dave and I were both a bundle of nerves on Sunday. How would he do when he realized we weren't there? How would he nap? How were we going to deal with not having him toddling about all day? How were we all going to deal with an abrupt change in routine?

Well....overall we all dealt fairly well and came out unscathed. Dave dropped him off at about 9 and snuck out as Thurston was poking about his new surroundings. Apparently he didn't even notice we weren't there until an hour had passed. He ate well and even napped for a little over an hour. I picked him up at 4:30 and received a phone call from an anxious Dave at 4:45, who was curious about his little man. I think both our nerves are calm now.

I think daycare is going to be so good for him. There are three kids in his classroom - The Wobblers, for ages 1-2. The other kids seem friendly and interactive. The daycare providers teach them to be gentle, they're great at teaching language skills, sing songs, read, etc. I'm very thrilled with the staff and happy with the facilities. I'm also thrilled to open up our schedules a little bit, provide some additional family time, and increase our sanity.

Finally, and most excitingly, Thurston has begun walking. He took a few teensy steps here and there around his first birthday. Last Sunday, on a visit to Cory's, I plopped Thurston on the floor and he walked part way across the room to get to the chair. I thought it was a fluke, so I picked him up and plopped him back down. Again, he toddled across the floor. Each day, he's getting better and better at walking. It so exciting to watch him learn these new skills as he grins from ear to ear with pride.







No comments: