Monday, August 17, 2009

It's just a bit of plastic

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

I found this tonight and it got me thinking. Sure, it sounds a bit new-agey, but it reminds me that I can't compare myself to a little bit of cold, hard plastic. Because, yes I have found myself whining about being a "human pacifier" on more than one occasion. I forget that, as a mother, I am formulated to soothe and nurture this little being perfectly. Like emotional puzzle peices. Or like how my hips have widened just so from my pregnancy that he rests upon them comfortably when I carry him at my side. Yin and Yang.

2 comments:

MissAnneThrope said...

Two beautiful pieces of one glorious whole.
insert "glory hole" witticism at your leisure...I am far too mature for such folly. ;)

Anonymous said...

I like that quote. Very profound. And you're right, there is no bond such like the one between a mother and her child :)